With all the time I took off last year after Lily was born, and only working part time this year, Jeff and I have been looking for creative ways to cut back financially. We have made many cut backs to live on a tighter budget and have been trying to apply for a home loan modification. We had a good amount saved and have been trying to make good choices, so we don't feel like we are in financial jeopardy, and yet our savings are dwindling and for both of us living without a financial net is new territory. There are certainly stresses induced by extra bills and expenses that would have been no big deal even a year ago, but God is bigger than all our worries. He has always blessed us and provided for us- through our jobs, and often through other people. This new stages allows us to rely on his provisions and be in awe of his blessings in a new way. We have been denied twice now for a loan modification. First because we had planned ahead and had too much saved (which is now gone...) and the second time we qualified financially, even made it through every round of approval until the last step when the bank decided our family had not suffered a hardship and so they weren't willing to help us out. We were both very disappointed. But God provides for us in his time, in his ways! That same week, Jeff started selling chicken coops (see the post below). It was like God was saying, "See, I will provide for your needs through the skills I have given you." But he wasn't done there! For we are more precious then the birds of the air or the flowers in the fields and God not only wants to provide for our needs he wants to bless us with our desires! Jeff and I have talked about building a play set for Lily in the future...a future that seemed pretty distant on our new budget. But God had other plans. Jeff is rather addicted to Craigslist. He may not admit it, but it is true (that and Costco!). The same weekend we found out about being denied for the home loan, he was checking "free" looking for some good scores. And God provided this:
Jeff called, first. The guy who was giving it away happened to just live a few minutes away, so Jeff went to see it. While Jeff was there, the guy got 38 other calls! Jeff went back the next day, loaded it on his trailer, and brought it home. Even on Craigslist, this old set could easily have sold for several hundred dollars. But God choose to give it to us!
Lily loves to play outside, and we know she will get years of enjoyment out of this blessing! When I look out at the play set, I remember that while I may not be able to buy everything for Lily that I would like to spoil her with, God can! And He loves to spoil us all sometimes.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Meg, I love this post! God is so good! It is so true that he loves to spoil his children sometimes. You and Jeff are such good examples for little Lily. The playset looks awesome. We want to come play!!
ReplyDelete